Oil pulling, the new trend for a natural mouthwash
A newcomer to the department of cosmetics, oil pulling, is a past practice of Ayurvedic medicine: it consists of mouthwash sesame or coconut oil. A 100% natural method for a glowing smile and a mouth protected from cavities and bacteria.
What is the oil pulling?
Literally “oil drawing,” the “oil pulling” comes from Ayurveda. This Indian medicine recommends mouthwashes with sesame oil or coconut oil (rich in oleic and lauric acid) for a perfect oral hygiene. In addition to brushing teeth, oil pulling removes the bacteria that the toothbrush can not reach.
The oil pulling is a good method that appeals to a time when mouthwashes are criticized for their overly aggressive chemicals, initially – according to several studies – the increase in blood pressure risk Stroke, heart attack, throat and mouth cancers.
What’s the point?
It is necessary to regularly make mouthwash because the brushing of the teeth reaches only 60% of the surface of the teeth and 10% of the entire oral cavity, which nevertheless contains an average of 10 billion microorganisms, Including bacteria, viruses, fungi … that only the mouthwash can eliminate.
The oil pulling is, therefore, a natural and vegan method that allows:
- Whiter teeth and fresher breath
- Effective protection against bacteria thanks to the natural antibiotic and antibacterial properties of the oil
- Fewer caries and less irritation, bleeding and swelling of the gums
- To clean the body. Thanks to its detox effect, the oil pulling helps the body to recover itself. The meridians (the energy flows) are again in motion, and the blockages are solved.
How to practice it?
Preferably, the oil pulling is done in the morning on an empty stomach, after washing the teeth.
- Put in your mouth a tablespoon of sesame oil or coconut oil (pure or with essential oils, which optimize the effects of the mouthwash, to be dosed with precision .
- Then circulate the oil for a maximum of time (up to 15 minutes if you can!) In all the corners of the mouth without swallowing it. The tongue pushes and then pulls the oil in front and behind the teeth.
- Once the mouthwash is finished, spray the oil (preferably in the toilet, to avoid the possibility of blocking the sink).
- To be effective, this ritual must be practiced at least once a week.
Tip: because spending so much time with oil in the mouth can be strange for newbies, it is advisable to drill the oil pulling in the shower, while you lay your clothes or knit …
Two DIY recipes from oil pulling
1. Pass a 100 ml bottle of coconut oil under warm water to liquefy the oil. Open the bottle, add 30 drops of peppermint essential oil . Close well, then shake the bottle.
2. Pass a 100 ml bottle of sesame oil under hot water to liquefy the oil. Open the bottle, add 20 drops of essential oil of clove . Close well, then shake the bottle.
It ‘ s ready!